Thursday, June 4, 2015

The end of Childhood

On the eve of the night before my youngest daughter graduates from high school, I'm reflecting on how much time has slipped past. It seems like yesterday when my oldest child was off to his first day of kindergarten. Now it's time to send my youngest daughter off to college and she can't wait to go. 

There are a few words of wisdom that I'd like to pass on. First, don't be afraid to get your heart broken. It just means that you aren't afraid of falling in love. I've been married for over 32 years and I've never regretted taking what I thought was a chance and asking my sweetheart if she'd marry me. If you asked her she would tell you there was no risk of what her answer would be.

Second, find out what you love to do and find a way to make a living doing that. You will never get tired of doing something you love to do. And it will never feel like you're working.

Third, don't be in a hurry to spend everything you earn. I regret not saving more when I was younger. Now, I'm playing catch up trying to make sure that if there ever comes a day when I can't work, that I will have enough money to live on. If something is on sale one day, you can be sure it will be on sale at another time. Businesses want you to spend your money on their products or services. Do yourself a huge favor and make and follow a budget. Budget for things you want to buy and save the money to buy it. Whenever you earn some money, pay your tithing first and put something in savings second. It doesn't matter how much you save, it just matters that you get in the habit of saving. You never know what might happen and its nice to know you have something in reserve should you need it.

Fourth, when you become a parent spend as much time as you can with your kids. You will never regret it. I'll never forget the time I came home from an extended business trip and my youngest daughter, at the time, didn't recognize me when I got in the car. She was pulling away from me so I sat in the seat behind her. As we drove home, I was telling everyone about the trip and once she heard my voice she couldn't turn far enough to see me in her car seat. I called home every night while I was gone and she did recognize my voice from all those phone calls. Tell your wife and your kids how much you love them frequently. They can't hear it enough.

I'm proud of everything that my kids and wife have accomplished in their lives so far. I have been blessed to have a family. I wouldn't be who I am without you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment